Pupil Premium is an opportunity for the school to provide a fair and inclusive school for all pupils by narrowing attainment gaps. Pupil Premium was introduced in April 2011 and is an additional payment to our main school funding, available to raise aspiration and achievement of pupils eligible for pupil premium funding by providing an individual programme of support. Pupils included are those who are eligible for free school meals, those children who have been looked after continuously for more than six months and those with parents in the Armed Forces. The money enables accelerated progress with target groups using an evidence based approach. Staff provide additional provision in the mainstream classroom and further raise aspirations and expectations beyond school by engaging parents.
At St Damians we spend the funding specifically on additional educational support to raise the standards of attainment for these pupils. We do this through rigorously tracking and monitoring pupil progress, one to one support and mentoring by teachers and support staff, providing enrichment activities through school visits/trips, uniform vouchers, games, craft, liturgy and homework clubs. We also support pupils through examinations and provide small group work and class support.
We encourage our students to learn together; support each other and develop their own individual strengths. We believe that it is our responsibility to help the young people of today to realise their dreams to fulfil their potential and go on to succeed in the workplace and the wider world. We believe that our all-round and unique educational environment at St Damians equips our students for life and its many challenges and opportunities.
- To support and develop students experiences in school in order to ensure high levels of attendance
- To provide opportunities in Key Stage 3 to raise levels of literacy and numeracy and consequently, close the gap.
- To raise literacy and numeracy levels with an emphasis on enabling Key Stage 4 students to achieve a minimum of 5A*-C including English & Maths
- To provide additional intervention programmes which increase students’ access to the curriculum
- To provide strategies which raise vulnerable students’ confidence and self-belief, enabling them to become confident learners and a valued part of the school community
To view our pupil premium provision and statement of spending please click links below: