Careers Advice and Guidance
Meet our Careers Adviser
Mrs Holdsworth from ‘Positive Steps’ is St. Damian’s Careers Adviser offering independent and impartial information, advice and guidance to pupils on their future career plans.
Mrs Holdsworth is based in Room 208 every Tuesday and alternate Wednesdays to offer careers advice and guidance to pupils.
During the school year, pupils will have the opportunity to meet with Mrs Holdsworth in assemblies, small group sessions, one-to-one interviews or at the Careers Drop In Tuesday lunch-times in the Lower Library. Mrs Holdsworth is also happy to work with parents/carers, attend Parents’ Evening and get in touch with parents if required.
How to contact Mrs Holdsworth
Appointments can also be booked by request via Form Tutors or Heads of Year
Why going to your Careers Interview is very important
- It is an opportunity to think and talk about your plans on a one to one basis with a trained, independent and impartial adviser.
- It can help raise aspirations and increase your motivation to achieve highly in your GCSEs and vocational courses and beyond.
- It can help with making decisions related to your options after school, whether it is college, sixth form, apprenticeships or other study programmes. It will help you choose the best pathway for you.
- It can help with college or job applications.
- It can help with contacting colleges for you if you have not heard from them, have missed appointments or changed your mind on courses.
- It can help with writing your CV and covering letter for college / job applications.
- It can help you to search for job/apprenticeship vacancies and tell you how to apply for them.
- It can help you to consider options post 18 and research them so that you can choose the right pathways/ subjects and courses at 16.
- In an ever changing and complex technological world it is more important than ever before that young people get excellent advice and guidance required to ensure that they are able to navigate the huge array of choices available and get the right skills and experience required for future employment.